Monday 15 July 2019

Be strong

Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you like men, be strong. Let all your things be done with charity. – 1 Corinthians 16.13-14

Be strong. Short, sweet, and to the point. It is something we read all through the word of God. It starts with the conquest of Canaan. It carries on though the all the history of Israel in the books of history and the psalms. It carries on though the New Testament. We have needed those words. We need them today. We will need them forever.

There are many times though when I just don’t feel strong. I feel tired and weak and incapable and when that happens I can feel down and discouraged and maybe even depressed. I try to be strong – but I often can’t seem to do it.

The problem is that I am relying on my own strength. Over and over we read more about being strong.

Be strong in the Lord.
Be strong…for God is with you
You will receive power after the Holy Spirit has come upon

Our own strength is always going to fail us. ‘If we in our own strength abide our striving will be losing.’ My strength is always going to fall short. I will lose to the world. I will lose to my own flesh. I will lose to the devil. But greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world.

I am weak – but He is strong.

Be strong in the power of the Lord.

No comments: