Thursday 13 April 2017

The cause of the afflicted

I know that the Lord will maintain
The cause of the afflicted,
And justice for the poor.
Surely the righteous shall give thanks to Your name;
The upright shall dwell in Your presence. – Psalm 140.12-13

Affliction is a part of life. It is just a result of living in a terribly broken world. Christians are not exempt from the afflictions of the world – in fact we may be more prone to them in some ways.

Affliction is never easy to endure. But they are the worst when we have to go through afflictions alone. About a year and a half ago I went through bypass surgery. There are a lot worse afflictions, but I felt pretty afflicted for about six months. I needed help with all kind of things. At the very beginning I could hardly get around.

When I look back I think about what it would have been like if I had had to go through that all alone. But I didn’t have to, Mary was here to maintain by cause during the affliction.

When we face our afflictions in the world today we do not need to go through them alone either. God maintains the cause of the affliction. He is there to carry us through those troubles. In our afflictions we can have confidence that the King of kings and Lord of lords will support us.

The Lord is on my side, I need not fear what man can do to me.



No comments: