Monday 17 April 2017

I poured out my complaint

I cry out to the LORD with my voice; With my voice to the LORD I make my supplication. I pour out my complaint before Him; I declare before Him my trouble. When my spirit was overwhelmed within me, Then You knew my path. In the way in which I walk They have secretly set a snare for me.  - Psalm 142:1-3

There are several times in the word of God when He has to deal with His people about their complaining, ungrateful, discontent, and questioning spirit. We ought to be able to accept and be content with God’s plan for us.

But there are also times when God’s people openly and honestly pour out their hearts to Him.

If our hearts are right and we can honour Him with our words God wants to hear from us.

I think about a Sunday morning nearly 15 years ago. Our ministry had a major setback and I had had enough. I went for a walk and sat on a bench on the canal and poured my heart out to God. I told Him what I thought. I told Him I was ready to quit. I told Him had had it. I had it out with God.

And He listened to me. He didn’t strike me with a bolt of lightning. He heard my complaint.

And then He spoke to me in a voice as clear as if He were sitting next to me on the bench. I don’t know how you feel about it, but this is one of only a couple of times when I felt like His Spirit spoke directly to my heart.

‘I’ll let you know when I am done with you here.’

Then He recalled scripture to my mind ‘Be ye steadfast, unmovable,’ ‘don’t be weary in well doing,’ ‘seeing you have this ministry do not lose heart.’


God cares. He is the ultimate parent who wants us to tell Him what is wrong. He desires to help us out of our woes. 

No comments: