Sunday 2 April 2017

Quietude

Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, Like a weaned child with his mother; Like a weaned child is my soul within me. – Psalm 131.2

‘Ah, peace and quiet.’ How often have we said something like that after a hectic and stressful day? Think about have it feels or felt when the kids were finally put down to bed and we sat down for a cup of tea and just enjoyed the peace and quiet of the evening.


But imagine having that calm, quiet, restful feeling in the midst of a world of violence and trouble and turmoil.

That is what the psalmist writes about here. The world is not going to ever find true peace and comfort and we have to live in that world. The promise here is that within that world we can have the peace and quiet by trusting in the Lord.

Wouldn’t it be wonderful to have the kind of faith that is able to hear the latest BREAKING NEWS!!! from some disaster site and be able to not be consumed by fear and panic. The politics of this world are a mess. If I had to put my confidence in them I would be terribly afraid.

But when our faith is in the Lord we can have the same peace and quiet that a baby has in its mother’s arms after nursing. No matter what is going on that baby is secure in comfort and protection and peace and quiet.

That quietude is ours if we will simply trust Him.

No comments: