Saturday 1 April 2017

My soul waits

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits,
And in His word I do hope.
My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning—
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning. – Psalm 130.5-6

I kind of wish the Bible did not talk so much about patience. I don’t like waiting. When I go to work on Tuesday I leave the house at 6.30 for a job that starts at 9.00 and it is only a 30 minute drive at that hour.

Why? Because I hate waiting in traffic. I’d rather drive in, sit in the car, have a coffee and read a book and maybe take a little nap than to sit for an hour and half in the traffic that comes later.

I have the same attitude with God sometimes. I don’t always want to wait for God to work. I can see the solution, I know the answer, I’ve got it figured out – why doesn’t God just do it?

As much as I don’t like it – it is a good thing to learn how to wait. It is a lesson we have to teach our children. Sometimes we have to learn patience because things don’t often come our way when we want and the way we want.

We only find real peace though when we learn to trust God enough to wait on Him. That takes faith because it means I am willing to put my desires and my wishes and my plans aside to wait on Him and watch Him work. To me patience is the great faith tester. As hard as it is for me to wait for anything it is always a test of my faith. Do I know what is best or does God? Do I know the best timing or does He? His ways are above my ways and His thoughts are above my thoughts. Only through patience can I exercise that kind of faith.

Teach me Lord, to wait.

No comments: