Saturday 15 April 2017

Dark Saturday

Moreover, brethren, I declare to you the gospel which I preached to you, which also you received and in which you stand, by which also you are saved, if you hold fast that word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,  - 1Co 15:1-4

On the third day He rose.

I’ll be honest with you. I really don’t know if Jesus died on a Wednesday or a Thursday or a Friday. I have seen good arguments for all of those days. I have my opinion, and I think I am right, but I just don’t know for sure.

I do know this – on Saturday, or at least most of how we reckon Saturday, Jesus was dead and in the grave and the disciples and other Christ followers were in despair.

I can hardly imagine how that day must have felt. Many and not heard His words about dying and rising again and the disciples must have barely heard them for they too were in hiding.

But that Saturday was not the end. While the demons may have danced in the darkness and devils may have howled at the work they thought they had done* things were happening in heaven.

That Saturday might have been the darkest day in human history, but that was not the end of the story. Only a few hours remained till Sunday.

No matter what we are going through today it is not the end. God is not done. It may indeed be Dark Saturday for us today – but Sunday is coming!


*Credit to Andrew Peterson

No comments: