Friday 8 March 2019

My heart';s desire

Brethren, my heart's desire and prayer to God for Israel is that they may be saved. For I bear them witness that they have a zeal for God, but not according to knowledge. For they being ignorant of God's righteousness, and seeking to establish their own righteousness, have not submitted to the righteousness of God. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.- Romans 10.1-4

What would the answer be if we asked ourselves what our heart’s desire was for our people? I wonder how many of us would jump up with the answer – ‘that they would all be saved!’

That was Paul’s pressing burden. That was his passion. It was what he lived for. We know that it was more than just words because every place he went he headed for the synagogue to preach the gospel to his people. We went into markets and forum to share the Truth. He dealt with false teachers to protect his people.

What moves me? Indeed what is my heart’s desire for the people I live among? What is my heart desire for my family and friends and coworkers and neighbours and dog walkers that I meet and see on a regular basis?

If I am motivated and compelled by the love of Christ my biggest concern is for their eternity. Of course Christ’s love motivates me to treat them right and meet needs and be there for them. That ought to go without saying.

But more than ought to be concern for their eternity. Do I love them enough to always keep in mind that they need to be saved? I need to be that proper friend. I need to love them today and now, but I must love them enough to consider their eternity.

No comments: