Friday 15 March 2019

More highly than we ought

For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. Romans 12:3

Pride is a killer. Pride has been the problem since before the beginning. Satan’s pride had Him cast out of heaven. Adam and Eve’s sin brought sin into the world. Cain’s pride resulted in the first murder – and I could fill a book with more examples.

Here is the root of pride – thinking more highly of ourselves than we ought to think. This can show itself in a lot of ways. It can make us arrogant or selfish or jealous or entitled or privileged or demanding. It can lead us to sin because ‘nobody can tell me what to do.’

It can also cause another problem when it makes us doubt God.

How does that happen?

It happens when we are so sure of ourselves that we think God is not taking care of things properly. We think that we know better than He does. We worry because we can’t see the end and we feel like we ought to have control. Pride really gets in the way of faith because it makes me think either I could do better or that He isn’t able to do what He says. Fear comes because I think it is all up to me.

In other words I think more highly of myself than I ought to think every time I doubt God and trust me.

God forgive us.

No comments: