Sunday 3 March 2019

Conformed to His image


For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. – Romans 8.29

I’ve been saved more than 45 years. I’ve been to Bible College and Seminary. I study God’s word every day. I’ve been preaching or teaching the Bible basically since the time I was saved.

And yet I still don’t fully understand some things. Election and predestination is one of those things. Just when I think I have it I realise that I don’t. I am just about to give up and say that God is going to sort it all out.

One thing is clear though. God had predestined that all who come to Christ will be conformed to the image of Christ. It’s not an option. Paul writes to the Ephesians that God ordained before the foundation of the world that we are ordained to do those good works.

Now I realise that our perfect conformity will not come until I go the heaven to be with Him. In the meantime however we must be growing in our conformity to Christ. When we speak of our destiny conformity to Christ is our ultimate destiny. We will one day be conformed – we might as well get into practice now.

No comments: