Sunday 17 February 2019

Present your members to holiness

And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness. – Romans 6.18-19


Free from we are now called slaves of righteousness. Paul admits this is a tough way to put it because he is speaking in terms we can understand. Slaves of righteousness means that we are now bound to do what it right.

It is not just a matter of doing right. It also deals with how we do what is right. A lot of time our practical righteousness can almost be done begrudedly and with a ‘have to’ spirit. Paul writes here though that we are to use our members to serve righteousness with the same fervour with which we used to pursue uncleanness.

The result of doing so will mean the end will not be despair and emptiness from serving sin we will see holiness by serving righteousness.

My desire now is that as I start every day I do so with a determination in my heart and a deep reliance on ‘Christ in me’ that I will by His grace live today seeking righteousness and pursuing holiness. I need to chase it just like I used to chase my own selfish and fleshly pursuits.

What will you and I chase after today?


No comments: