Tuesday 26 February 2019

An heir

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together. – Romans 8.14-17

Heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ. What an astounding statement. The perfect, righteous, holy God has chosen to make me his heir. Not only that, I am not a partial heir or a secondary heir or not getting a partial inheritance. I share in the full inheritance with Christ.

Peter describes my inheritance. He says it is as incorruptible, as undefiled, that will not fade away, and that is reserved in heaven for us. I love this. It is pure, nothing can mar it. It is undefiled. No other co-heirs are going to get my cut. No lawyers are going to whittle away at my inheritance.  It is reserved in heaven, not by my power but by the power of God.

With that confidence I can rest assured that I have been adopted and am going to share in the full inheritance of Christ.

Think of it. Me, Roger, with all of my flaws and sins and weaknesses and ignorance and unworthiness have been adopted into God’s family and I am now His heir and share it with Christ.

No comments: