Sunday 3 February 2019

Fully convinced

And not being weak in faith, he did not consider his own body, already dead (since he was about a hundred years old), and the deadness of Sarah's womb. He did not waver at the promise of God through unbelief, but was strengthened in faith, giving glory to God, and being fully convinced that what He had promised He was also able to perform. And therefore “it was accounted to him for righteousness.” – Romans 4.19-22

Abraham is a fascinating study. He believed God and was therefore imputed with God’s righteousness. He was declared righteous.

But he was not perfect. He exercised faith – but at times he still doubted. Yet here we read that he was ‘fully convinced’ and did not waver in his faith.

To me that sounds a little contradictory. How can he never waver and be fully convinced and yet have those little doubts?

I think the phrase ‘Lord, I believe, help my unbelief’ comes into play here. It looks like, though Abraham was fully convinced in his mind did not waver and his faith was solid he still did obviously have an occassional niggling doubt.

I know I can have the same issue at times. I am fully convinced that God is right and able and perfect and acts out of love and goodness, but every now and then either my flesh or the devil throws up a thought that can cause me to wonder. My real faith doesn’t waver – I am convinced that God will handle it – but I still have to deal with those fleeting thougths.

That doesn’t excuse me, it just lets me know that I need to rely on what God says and not waver in my belief that He as this covered.

It is kind of a comfort to know that even Abraham, fully convinced and never wavering, had those momentary lapses. It didn’t mean He had lost His faith in God.

No comments: