Friday 1 February 2019

Imputation

But to him who does not work but believes on Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is accounted for righteousness, just as David also describes the blessedness of the man to whom God imputes righteousness apart from works:
“Blessed are those whose lawless deeds are forgiven,
And whose sins are covered;
Blessed is the man to whom the Lord shall not impute sin.” – Romans 4.5-8

Imputation is a wonderful theological word. The dictionary definition is ‘to represent something as being done.’ In theology it represents Christ’s righteousness represented in us.

All of us are guilty. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.There is no one righteous, no not one. All of our works are unprofitable. And there is nothing we can do about.We can not be made unguilty.

But we can be forgiven. Our sins can be covered. Christ’s righteousness can be represented in us so that sin is no longer imputed to us. No works can bring about imputed righteousness.

In a few days I will have been saved 45 years. That seems like a lifetime. As I look back over those last 45 years I have been amazed at Christ’s imputed righteousness. My own righteousness has fallen far, far short of God’s standard of perfection. If I could have lost my salvation I would have lost it over and over again. I cannot unimpute the righteousness of Christ in me. I didn't  put it there, so I can’t take it off. What I must do is to reckon the truth of this and the resultant truth that because of His imputed righteousness sin has no power. God sees Christ’s righteousness instead of my sin.

Imputation – was a marvelus gift!

No comments: