Friday 22 February 2019

No condemnation

There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. – Romans 8.1

No condemnation now I dread;
Jesus, and all in Him, is mine!
Alive in Him, my living Head,
And clothed in righteousness Divine,
Bold I approach the eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.
Bold I approach the eternal throne,
And claim the crown, through Christ my own.

Thus writes Charles Wesley in his hymn ‘And Can It Be.’ Wesley I think fully captures the essence of Romans 8.1. We need fear no overriding guilt or condemnation for eternity because of what Christ has already done. Satan may tempt me to despair – because my condemnation is not up to him. I have been declared right in Christ alone.

We need not carry on through life with faces downturned and downcast. We no longer need fear the devil’s condemnation or the world’s codemnation or even the condemnation from inside ourselves.

Now, because of Christ, I live my life in Him. It is no more Roger who lives, but Christ lives in me. I walk in His spirit and not in the flesh. I am not perfect, but I am growing to be more and more like the One Who lives in me.

No condemnation now I dread. None. I am free from condemnation in Christ.

No comments: