Sunday 15 October 2017

The Lord's mercies

Through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.  – Lamentations 3.22-23

Now we get to the things that Jeremiah called to mind to encourage himself in the Lord. Though he must have felt nearly consumed He still was able to dig deep enough to find what he needed. What he needed was to remind himself that it is only the mercies of God that keep him and us from being consumed. Mercy, of course, is another way of saying ‘kindness.’ That mercy, that kindness, of God is what keeps us going.

Where would we be without the mercy of God? Where would we be without the compassions that do not fail? When I look at this world that sometimes can seem as much a train wreck as Jerusalem in Jeremiah’s day I can’t imagine living here without the knowledge that God’s mercy is with me. At the end of the day I know that He loves me because Him compassions do not fail. Mercy and love are new every morning.


Because of this I can sing ‘every day with Jesus is sweeter than the day before.’ I don’t need to worry that He won’t be there tomorrow. I can wake up in full assurance tomorrow that God’s mercies will still be there and His compassion will not let me down. 

No comments: