Friday 13 October 2017

The First and the Last

"Thus says the LORD, the King of Israel, And his Redeemer, the LORD of hosts: 'I am the First and I am the Last; Besides Me there is no God. – Jeremiah 44.6

Throughout the whole word of God we find regular references to the fact that God exists outside of time. That’s a wonderful concept. I like sci-fi and I enjoy a good time travel story. The idea of moving through time has drawn the attention of many a writer. Because time is the one thing we can’t control it is always fun to think about what would happen if we could.

But that is where God is. He is of old and from everlasting to everlasting. He is the Alpha and Omega. He is the beginning and the end. He is the First and the Last. He is the Author and the Finisher.

And most of all He is I AM.

The I AM is the One who always was, is, and will always be I AM. He can’t forget the past because He is I AM there. He is I AM now so He doesn’t miss anything. He is already in the future because He is I AM then as well.

Because He is always the First and the Last and everything in between nothing is going to catch Him off guard.

I am blessed by this reminder. At my age I have concerns (fears if I were being totally honest) about my future. We are not by any means ‘set’ for our later years financially. I must rest in the fact that God is already there. He knows all that is going to happen and what it happening in 2025 or 2030 or whenever and He has already promised me that He is going, or He is, already in 2030 with me.


I don’t know what the future holds – but I know the One who holds the future in His hands. 

No comments: