Tuesday 3 October 2017

Here, there, and everywhere

"Am I a God near at hand," says the LORD, "And not a God afar off? Can anyone hide himself in secret places, So I shall not see him?" says the LORD; "Do I not fill heaven and earth?" says the LORD.  – Jeremiah 23.23-24

The omnipresence, or the everywhereness, of God is an important truth for us to grasp and apply. If we are not aware that God is everywhere we are going to find ourselves feeling very weak and very alone. We are going to feel like no one knows what we are going through. Aloneness is a terrible thing – but it is something no Christian ever need fear.

God asks ‘Am I a God that is only close by and not far away?’ Can anyone hide from God so that I can’t see him? (Adam and Eve tried that) Don’t I fill heaven and earth?

David expressed it wonderfully in Psalm 139 –

Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence? If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there. If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, Even there Your hand shall lead me, And Your right hand shall hold me.

It is a blessed thought that there is no where we can go where God is not. No matter what I am going through I can be sure that God is right there with me. I don’t have to worry about what I will be going through tomorrow because God is already there.


Here, there, and everywhere. That’s where God is. Let me rest in that wonderful truth. 

No comments: