Monday 16 October 2017

Great it Your faithfulness

Through the LORD's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.  – Lamentations 3.22-23

Last week I spent a day at a Christian workers conference in Kilkenny. It was a much needed day of edification and encouragement and blessing. One of the reasons I enjoy it so much is the singing. One of the songs we sang last week was ‘Great is Thy Faithfulness’ by Thomas Chisholm. I could hardly do better than in capturing the essence than Chisholm did.

Great is Thy faithfulness,” O God my Father,
There is no shadow of turning with Thee;
Thou changest not, Thy compassions, they fail not
As Thou hast been Thou forever wilt be.
       
Summer and winter, and springtime and harvest,
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above,
Join with all nature in manifold witness
To Thy great faithfulness, mercy and love.

Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth,
Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide;
Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow,
Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!

Great is Thy faithfulness!” “Great is Thy faithfulness!”
Morning by morning new mercies I see;
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided—
 “Great is Thy faithfulness,” Lord, unto me!’

Here is what Chisholm said about the song late in his life – “My income has not been large at any time due to impaired health in the earlier years which has followed me on until now.  Although I must not fail to record here the unfailing faithfulness of a covenant-keeping God and that He has given me many wonderful displays of His providing care, for which I am filled with astonishing gratefulness.”


We have that assurance as well. No matter what our health issues, no matter what our economic woes, no matter what comes our way today we can dig down and rely on the fact that God is faithful today, His love will not fail today, and His mercies will be poured out again today. 

No comments: