Thursday 13 July 2017

Tools

Shall the ax boast itself against him who chops with it?
Or shall the saw exalt itself against him who saws with it?
As if a rod could wield itself against those who lift it up,
Or as if a staff could lift up, as if it were not wood! – Isaiah 10.15

I like tools. Well, I love the idea of tools. I like the feel of them and what they do and the potential they have to do. I have a toolbox full of tools.

The problem is that I am not much of a DIY guy and my toolset has, through the years, scattered and partly disappeared. The tools I have left don’t do much unless somebody uses them.

This is the illustration Isaiah uses to talk about us. Unless the Lord is using us we aren’t going to get much accomplished. Unless we depend on Him we are working in vain.

But in the hands of the Master we find our usefulness. A good workman can get a job done even with flawed tools. In the same way God can use us even with the nicks and chips and rust spots and all the other flaws. All we need to do is to be wiling, not perfect tools.

No comments: