Sunday 2 July 2017

Here I am

Then said I, Woe is me! for I am undone; because I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips: for mine eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts. Then flew one of the seraphims unto me, having a live coal in his hand, which he had taken with the tongs from off the altar: And he laid it upon my mouth, and said, Lo, this hath touched thy lips; and thine iniquity is taken away, and thy sin purged. Also I heard the voice of the Lord, saying, Whom shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, Here am I; send me. – Isaiah 6.5-8

When God revealed Himself to Isaiah he was stunned. All he could was to fall on His face in worship and confess His sin.

In the midst of that we see God Himself calling out ‘Who will I send? Who will go for us?’

It is an amazing fact that God has chosen men to do His work. We can all say ‘woe is me’ and must recognise that we too are men of unclean lips in a land full of the same kind of people, but it is to that land that God says ;who will go for us?’

Then we see Isaiah responding ‘here I am, send me.’

Such simple but powerful words from a man of unclean lips. Isaiah knew he was not worthy to go – but still he said he would go.

Isn’t that a lot like us? God is still looking for people to go and do His work He is still looking for someone who will go for Him.

Who will it be? Are you and I willing to say ‘Here I am Lord, send me?’ Are we willing to say ‘send me to that hurting neighbour or that troubled co-worker or that family member or needs Christ or that town character that everyone laughs at or that refugee fleeing oppression or that foreign land where vast numbers don’t know Christ?

None of us a ‘good enough’ to go – God will take care of that, but are we ready to say ‘here I am!’

No comments: