Friday 14 July 2017

The spirt of the Branch

There shall come forth a Rod from the stem of Jesse,
And a Branch shall grow out of his roots.
The Spirit of the Lord shall rest upon Him,
The Spirit of wisdom and understanding,
The Spirit of counsel and might,
The Spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord. – Isaiah 11.1-2

The ‘Branch from the stem of Jesse’ is a clear allusion to the coming Messiah, who we now know is Jesus Christ. It describes His character and we can immediately see the contrast between His character and those in power today. It gives us something to look forward to during His reign on earth, but it also comforts us in who are true Master is today.

He has the Spirit of the Lord
He has a spirit of wisdom and understanding
He has a spirit of counsel
He has a spirit of might
He has a spirit of knowledge
He has a spirit of the fear of the Lord

That us certainly the kind of spirit that I want to follow and it is the kind of spirit that I want in my own life.

The great thing is that we have that Spirit dwelling in us. When we were saved we received the Spirit of the Lord in the person of the Holy Spirit.The only thing that keeps us from manifesting those traits is our flesh. We have the power to walk in that kind of spirit because we have the Holy Spirit living in us.

I am afraid that my spirit doesn’t always reflect the fact that the Holy Spirit lives in me. I am afraid that too often it is my flesh that wins out.

Lord help me today to walk in that Spirit instead of my flesh.

No comments: