Wednesday 26 July 2017

Counsel, but not from me

Woe to the rebellious children,” says the Lord,
“Who take counsel, but not of Me,
And who devise plans, but not of My Spirit,
That they may add sin to sin; - Isaiah 30.1

God tells us in His word that we are wise to seek advice from a multitude of advisors. I am glad that He does that and I am glad for all the godly advice I have received. I don’t know what I would have done without it.

That’s good and it is a wise thing to do. But that counsel all by itself is not going to do us much good. The human counsel we get must be in line with the godly counsel found in His word.

When we follow human advice that is contrary to the word of God we are just asking for trouble. Man’s counsel, no matter how good it is, always has the chance of being flawed by our sin nature. God’s word never has that problem. It is always right.

Israel was facing all kinds of problems because they sought only the counsel of other men. God had given them all they needed  - but they chose to listen to men.

Isn’t it said that we do exactly the same thing? Instead of seeing God’s answers we keep looking for counsel that agrees with what we want to hear.

God’s word has all we need. Let’s look for counsel and to confirm man's counsel.

No comments: