Wednesday 27 April 2016

Who am I?


Then King David went in and sat before the Lord; and he said: “Who am I, O Lord God? And what is my house, that You have brought me this far? – 2 Samuel 7.18

David is quite an interesting character. In his life we know he is not perfect, and perhaps that is what he is thinking about here. He knows himself just like you know you and I know me. When we think about ourselves we may be tempted to ask the same question David did – ‘who I am Lord, that you have done so much for me?’

I have to wonder if this was the question that led David to write what he did in Psalm 8:

When I consider Your heavens, the work of Your fingers,
The moon and the stars, which You have ordained,
What is man that You are mindful of him,
And the son of man that You visit him?

Who are we that God should even bother with us? Why would He mess with such miserable creatures? When I look at all of creation why would He bother with someone like me?

The wonderful answer is pretty simple – because He loves me. He loves me warts and all.

Who am I that God would do anything for me? I am so precious in His eyes that He sent His Son to die on a cross to pay for my sins. All of what He does for me is not because of who I am, but because of what Jesus has done for me.

As the great old children’s song put it ‘red and yellow, black and white’ we are precious in His sight!

That is who we are!

No comments: