Saturday 9 April 2016

The Lord delivered me

And Saul said to David, "You are not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him; for you are a youth, and he a man of war from his youth." But David said to Saul, "Your servant used to keep his father's sheep, and when a lion or a bear came and took a lamb out of the flock, I went out after it and struck it, and delivered the lamb from its mouth; and when it arose against me, I caught it by its beard, and struck and killed it. Your servant has killed both lion and bear; and this uncircumcised Philistine will be like one of them, seeing he has defied the armies of the living God." Moreover David said, "The LORD, who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, He will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." And Saul said to David, "Go, and the LORD be with you!" – 1 Samuel 17.33-37

“Are you crazy David?’ Saul said, ‘Who are you to fight the giant? You are just a kid and he has been a warrior since he was a kid. He was fighting when you were sill in nappies!’

But David had an answer.

‘I kept my father’s sheep. Whenever a lion or a bear came after the sheep I would go after it, give it a whack, deliver the sheep, grab the beast, and kill it. I’ve killed both lion and bear and I’ll take care of this Philistine as well.’

“But it really wasn’t me. The Lord delivered me from the animals and He is going to deliver me from this giant as well.’

James addresses this in his letter when we talks about how we ought to rejoice during trials because those trials will prepare us for later trials which lead us to maturity. Just like David had the experience of the lion and the bear to prepare him for the giant God has allowed us to experience His victories of yesterday to prepare us for the giants to come.

When we have seen God work we can take courage that He will be with us whatever we face. So thank God for yesterday's battles so we need not be afraid when we meet our Goliath! He will be with us then like He was in the past.

No comments: