Monday 11 April 2016

The battle is the Lord's

Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you and take your head from you. And this day I will give the carcasses of the camp of the Philistines to the birds of the air and the wild beasts of the earth, that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel. Then all this assembly shall know that the LORD does not save with sword and spear; for the battle is the LORD's, and He will give you into our hands." – 1 Samuel 17.45-47

I would love to be able to slip back in time and just observe this scene. I once when a Sci-fi story about an invention that would not let you go back in time, but to look back in time. I wish I had that invention to be able to see the giant Goliath up on the hill fully kitted out in armour and weapons. When David came forward he must have been stunned. “Who is this champion that Israel in sending out?’

What he saw was a young shepherd unarmoured and unarmed except for a sling and stones in a pouch. No wonder he said ‘am I a dog that you send this lad out with sticks and stones?’

David was unshaken.

‘You can come to me with all you armour and weapons and everything else, but I come to you in the name of the Lord and He is going to give me the victory.’ David knew that the Lord does not save by power or by might but by His spirit. He knew that the battle was the Lord’s not his, and he rested in that truth.

I know what battles I face. I know what I face. I know my own life giants and I know I am powerless to deal with them so I thank my God that it depends on Him and not me.


A lot of giants are too big for me – but none are too big for Him. 

No comments: