Tuesday 19 April 2016

He strengthened his hand

Then Jonathan, Saul's son, arose and went to David in the woods and strengthened his hand in God. And he said to him, "Do not fear, for the hand of Saul my father shall not find you. You shall be king over Israel, and I shall be next to you. Even my father Saul knows that." So the two of them made a covenant before the LORD. And David stayed in the woods, and Jonathan went to his own house. – 1 Samuel 23.16-18

True friendships ensure. That means that no matter what true friends are always there.

David is once again on the run. Saul has set out to kill him and David was afraid that he would be found. He was found, but it was Jonathan who found him instead of David.

And as true friends do Jonathan encouraged his friend David. I love the way the Bible says it – ‘he strengthened his hand in the Lord.’ That is the kind of friend we all need and the kind of friend that we all need to be. It is great to encourage other – but what is really needed is encouraging each other in the Lord. While our arms may be weak when we think we are alone, when someone is with us our arms are strengthened.

This reminds me of course of Aaron and Hur. While the battle was raging and Moses was praying as long as he kept his arms up the battle went Israel’s way, but when his arms dropped the battle turned. When Moses got weak Aaron and Hur ‘strengthened his arms’ for the fight.

We need each other. When I get weak I need friends to strengthen my arms – and when my friends get weak they need me.

Make me one who strengthens my brother’s arm when he falters

No comments: