Friday 8 April 2016

I'll do it!

Then David said to Saul, "Let no man's heart fail because of him; your servant will go and fight with this Philistine." – 1 Samuel 17.32

With the whole army, including King Saul, terrified of Goliath something had to be done. Every morning that giant was on the opposite hill shouting out his threats and every day the Israelites were shaking in their battle sandals. What were they going to do?

David was there and when he saw their plight he said ‘Don’t be afraid! I’ll do it. I’ll fight this Philistine giant!’

This kind of volunteer willing spirit is too often lacking. This reminds me of Isaiah when God said ‘who will I send, who will go for us?’ In responds Isaiah says ‘Here I am, send me.’

This a contrast with other men of the Bible like Moses and Jeremiah who did everything they could to get out of doing what God asked. All we eventually use by God, but how wonderful it is when we can have a David like spirit when it comes time to do the work.

The work that needs to be done is not always as exciting as fighting a giant. Sometimes chairs needs to be moved or dishes need to be washed or toilets need to be cleaned. Sometimes early morning airport runs need to be made or someone needs to be driven to the doctor. Sometimes there is grass to be cut or gardens to be tidied.

You don’t always have to fight giants. God honours the ‘I’ll do it’ attitude when it comes to any kind of service for Him.

No comments: