Sunday 10 April 2016

The right tools

So Saul clothed David with his armor, and he put a bronze helmet on his head; he also clothed him with a coat of mail. David fastened his sword to his armor and tried to walk, for he had not tested them. And David said to Saul, "I cannot walk with these, for I have not tested them." So David took them off. Then he took his staff in his hand; and he chose for himself five smooth stones from the brook, and put them in a shepherd's bag, in a pouch which he had, and his sling was in his hand. And he drew near to the Philistine. – 1 Samuel 17.38-40

The whole setting of this scene is pretty amazing. King Saul would not serve as champion and go out to face Goliath. Young David is willing to do what the king was not willing to do. One would think that the king would have be shamed into action, but no, after a moment or protestation he agrees to let David go.

The Saul suggested that at least David go out kitted out with his armour and weapons.

What was he thinking? When we met Saul is was literally head and shoulders above everyone else. David was a youth When he was all dressed up he couldn't even walk in that equipment. It was Saul’s, not his. So he got what he knew. He grabbed his staff. His trusty sling, and he put five stones in his shepherd’s bag.

David knew that he had to fight his battles the way he knew best. He knew how to use a staff and a sling. It would have been foolish to try to fight with Saul’s armaments.

We need to be sure that we use what God gives us. I have seen a lot of great and famous and world renown preachers. I have know great men of God whole lives challenge me. I have seen preaching techniques that I wish I could emulate because they seem to work so well.

But, while I need to do all I can do to be the best preacher and teacher I can I still have to be me. I have to preach and teach like Roger because that is who I am. I have to use my skills (or lack of them) and my methods (no matter how weak they may seem) and my talents (no matter how they compare to someone else) and my style because that is all I can do. That is what God gave me that is what He wants me to use.

So I need to go out with my staff and sling and stones and leave all the other tools to those who can wield them. I can serve God best when I am me and use what He gave me.

No comments: