Tuesday 6 November 2012

The Way


Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. – John 14.6

I wish I could get away from it, but I still love politics and keep up with elections in both of my countries. I remember back to the 2004 US presidential campaign when ABC was interviewing President Bush. Charles Gibson asked him ‘do Christians and Muslims worship the same God?’

President Bush answered – ‘I think we do. We have different routes of getting to the Almighty’. (From ABC News 26/10/04)

While President Bush was a decent enough president he had some issues with his theology. I am glad that he was president and not pastor.

Jesus said something quite different. He said there is only one way –‘I am the way…no man comes to the Father except through Me.’

To an outsider that might sound very exclusive. And, I guess in a sense it is.

But on the other hand, while it is the only way, it is a wide open way. Jesus made it clear salvation was for anyone who will come. ‘Come unto me all you are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.’

Yes, there is only one way to heaven, but it is an open road for all who will walk down it. 

No comments: