Thursday 8 November 2012

The Life


Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. – John 14.6

We have today that last in the great tripartite of ‘I ams’ in John 14. ‘I am the way. I am the truth’ I am the life. Because of this no one can come the Father but through Me.’

Today we look at ‘I am the life.’

We all know that life is precious. There are of course tragic situations where a person’s life is so bad that life has lost all preciousness. How tragic that is and I in no way want to ignore that.

However, outside of those horrid situations life is seen as precious. I recently watched a very thought provoking television programme on euthanasia. An elderly woman who was quite ill had decided to end her life with the assistance of a family member. At the last moment she changed her mind. When asked why she said ‘Life is a precious thing. As I thought about it I just couldn’t let it go.’

Life is dear. In most cases we don’t want to let it go. And that is just our physical life.

Even more precious is eternal spiritual life. No matter how much we treasure life it will one day end. Our spiritual life goes on for eternity.

When Jesus said He is the life He speaks of eternity, but that eternity starts now. Jesus said that He gives life and that He is abundant life. He gives life that will conquer physical death.

Praise God that Jesus is the Way that is open to all. He is the Truth that all can know. He is the Life that all can have simply by coming to Him. 

No comments: