Monday 5 November 2012

I’ll be back


"Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.  And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also.  – John 14.1-3

Jesus was leaving. That much was clear. His disciples had been with Him for more than three years. His departure was obviously troubling. What were the disciples going to do now?

Jesus knew their fears and their trepidation. He knew they would be anxious. He knew the thought of His leaving would be troublesome for them.

And He cared enough to leave them a word of encouragement.

‘Don’t you worry. If you have believed God believe me too. My Father’s house has many places to live. I am going to get things ready for you. I wouldn’t have told you this if it were not true. I am going to come back for you and take you home.’

What a comfort in troublesome times. No matter how bad it gets here we know that there is a better home coming. We know this is not going to last forever. He know that we have an eternity with God to look forward to.

‘This world is not my home. I’m justa passing through…’ the old gospel song goes. 

While we are let’s not waste our time bewailing and complaining about our lot. Let’s love and serve God and others with all of our hearts waiting and looking for the day when Jesus comes back for us. 

No comments: