Sunday 11 November 2012

The Helper


And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever— the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you... But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you.  – John 14.16-17, 26

The end has been coming for a while. Jesus has been giving His final words to His followers. He was trying to comfort them and prepare them for what it was going to be like when He was gone. They had to be wondering about what they were going to do.

But Jesus was not about to leave them alone. ‘I am going to ask the Father and He is going to send you another Helper (or Comforter). He will abide with your forever. He is the Spirit of Truth. He will remind you of all I taught you.

We might think, ‘Well, that’s great for them, but what about us?’

We know from the book of Romans that now no one is a Christian who does not have the Holy Spirit. ‘If any man does not have the Spirit of God He is none of His.’

So we have that same Holy Spirit with us today. We have the same Helper. We have the same Comforter. We have the same Holy Spirit abiding with us forever.

What does that mean? It means I don’t have to face today alone. It means I have the Holy Spirit with me every day. It means I have a heaven sent Helper/Comforter with me not matter what I face today! 

No comments: