Sunday 18 November 2012

Friends with Jesus


You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you.  – John 15.14-15

I love friendship and I love my friends. I think friendship is one of the greatest gifts that God gives us. Friends are those people who know everything about you. Friends love you and true friends stick with you through thick and through thin.

Here Jesus talks about friendship, but not just any friendship. He talks about friendship with Himself. ‘You are my friends if you do whatever I command you,’ He says. But then He makes it personal – ‘I am no longer going to call you my servants, because servants don’t know what their master is doing. I have called you friends now because you know everything that I have been given by the Father.’

One of the best things about friends is how much we know each other. Here Jesus says that because we all that God wants us to know about Him we are His friends.

To be a friend of the Saviour is almost incomprehensible. To be permitted to be a friend of the Great Creator and Sustainer is a blessing beyond believe.

‘You ever heard of Jesus?’ we might ask. ‘Well, He’s my friend!’ 

No comments: