Sunday 16 November 2008

Striving with no profit

Remind them of these things, charging them before the Lord not to strive about words to no profit, to the ruin of the hearers. - 2 Timothy 2v14

I like to talk about just about anything. I really enjoy talking politics and there have been several weeks where there has been plenty to talk about there. After this morning I am a little concerned that I need to control some of that talk.

Little is more volatile than politics when it comes to conversation. There are other topics that trigger other people though.

Paul has a simple warning here – don’t fight about things that are of no profit, it can ruin the lives of those who hear the words. We need to be very careful about our conversations, especially about those topics that don’t really mean anything.

It is the closing words that concern me – ‘to the ruin of the hearers.’ I wonder if my words have contributed to the ruin of those who have heard them.

Very convicting and challenging words today.

No comments: