Friday 7 November 2008

Fight the fight

Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. - 1 Timothy 6v12

There is a lot of talk, especially amongst American Christians today, about the results of this week’s election. I was going to just ignore it, but I think today’s passage is relevant.

I do not swallow the line that the election of Senator Obama means the end to freedom as we know it. I don’t think it sounds America’s death knell. I suspect that the natural secularisation of society will continue on as it has, slowly but surely growing more and more opposed to God’s people. I fear that the slowness will allow Christian in America to continue on in Laodiceanism.

But let’s say the doom and gloomers are right. Let’s say that the next four years bring oppression and opposition on an official level. Let’s say that widespread persecution of true believers does come to America.

Then what? Would it really be a bad thing? Might we finally be forced to ‘fight the good fight of faith?’

I realise that there are two aspects to this fight of faith. On is internal, my daily battle with my flesh. But the other is external. All through history our brothers and sisters in Christ have had to stand and fight for their faith. It is our calling; it is our opportunity to make our confession before others. It may be what is required for the world to see the difference between us and them.

If this battle does come, are we willing to lay aside of the temporal nonsense that consumes us and lay hold of our eternal life instead. We will be able to have a good confession before many witnesses?

Are we even ready for the fight?

No comments: