Saturday 29 November 2008

The Lord stood with me…and will deliver me

But the Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached fully through me, and that all the Gentiles might hear. Also I was delivered out of the mouth of the lion. And the Lord will deliver me from every evil work and preserve me for His heavenly kingdom. To Him be glory forever and ever. Amen! - 2 Timothy  4v17-18 

In spite of everything Paul’s faith did not waver. He saw the reality of the opposition, be could not play that down. He did not paint a rosy picture for Timothy, but as he had earlier told Timothy did not have a spirit of he had to remind him of the practicality of that truth. 

Paul knew how he got through the difficulties. ‘The Lord stood with me and strengthened me, so that the message might be preached.’ He also knew what the future held even if he didn’t know what the future held. He knew that no matter what came his way, the Lord would deliver him preserve him for his heavenly reward. 

Our brothers and sisters in Christ have suffered through the years. We may very well be coming to a time when we will join them and our Saviour in suffering. If and when it happens we need to remember that the Lord has stood with us and given us strength through the years and He is not going to stop now. 

How did Paul respond to his pending doom? ‘To Him be glory forever and ever, amen!’ 

Oh for heart like Paul’s when facing struggles, trials, and persecution. 

No comments: