Thursday 13 November 2008

I know whom I have believed

For this reason I also suffer these things; nevertheless I am not ashamed, for I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him until that Day. - 2 Timothy 1v12

Most church historians and Bible scholars agree that Paul wrote this letter to Timothy during his second imprisonment in Rome while awaiting trial. From internal evidence later in the letter he knew that he was probably approaching the end of his life.

Yet Paul had a confidence that is rare today. No matter what Paul faced in his suffering he knew a couple of things with and therefore was not ashamed at his suffering.

I know Whom I believed
I know He is able to keep me

Paul could not have confident about his surroundings. They were in a mess, but he had the faith and the ability and the willingness to overlook that to the One who was in control of him and His life. There he could place His absolute trust.

I know there are times in my life when I tend to forget that it is not about me and my circumstances. Situations change constantly – circumstances are fragile and fleeting.

We face challenging times. It looks like it is only going to get worse. We must not allow our faith to be shaken. Do we believe the One in Whom we have believed? Do we trust that He is able to keep it together for us? Are we truly persuaded that He is able?

No comments: