Friday 9 June 2006

I shall not be moved

“He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defense; I shall not be moved.” - Psalms 62v6

Back in the Sixties one of the many protest songs that was used was “We Shall Not Be Moved.” As the police arrived protestors would in some cases break into this song, but in reality they would always be moved. It was a great thought, but the protestors but their faith was misplaced. Noble was their cause might have been, it usually let them down in cases like this.

There is a difference for God’s people. When we say that we will not be moved we can do so with great confidence because we have a solid Rock to which we can always cling. The psalmist writes, in reference to God that He is His only rock and salvation and that therefore his need never be moved.

There is another great lesson in this psalm. Back in verse two the psalmist wrote, “I will not be greatly moved.” Now his confidence has built to the point where he can say “I will not be moved at all.”

If we make the Lord indeed our ONLY rock – then we need to never be moved!

No comments: