Thursday 8 June 2006

The God of my mercy shall come to meet me

“The God of my mercy shall prevent me: God shall let me see my desire upon mine enemies.” - Psalms 59v10

A long time ago when I was in Bible college in America a famous American footballer name Billy “White Shoes” Johnson was present for a “Christian Athletes Sunday.” A long queue of students was there to get a signed photograph. When Mary and I walked into the gym Billy saw us an got up from the platform, came to us saying, “Roger, what in the world are you doing here.” Everyone in the queue was amazed that Billy Johnson knew me by name. It was kind of special to have a “famous” person come down to meet me!

It is special when a noted person comes to see us. It is one thing to be called to their home or office, but quite another for them to make the effort to come to us.

The KJV word “prevent” does not make a lot of sense to the modern English reader. In this context the word means to “come out” to “reach out,” or to “project oneself.” The NKJV uses the phrase “come to me” instead of “prevent me.” This is a truer reflection of what the psalmist is saying here – “The God of my mercy shall come out to me.” It is almost incomprehensible that the God of Creation would come out to me. I know that He invited me to come to Him, but in His mercy He comes out to me! What an amazing truth! God comes out to me! Praise God, for without Him coming to me I would be without hope in this world.

No comments: