Sunday 23 May 2021

That you might know

 And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have life. These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, that you may know that you have eternal life, and that you may continue to believe in the name of the Son of God. – 1 John 5.11-13

 

On the 12th of February 1974 I was in the library basement at Widener College in Chester, Pennsylvania, the US.

 

I was there for a Bible study because I had found an invitation on the ground and picked it up to throw it in the bin. When I picked it up I saw that it was a notice to a Bible study in the basement of the college library.

 

A professor was leading a Bible study from 1 John 4. As I sat there I looked across the page and my eyes fell on this verse. I realized straight away that I did not know. I hadn’t really thought much about it, but as I sat there I knew that I didn’t know.

 

So I prayed. I believed but I did not know. So I believed in my heart and confessed with my mouth and I knew. I knew then and I know now that I have life in His name.

 

It is wonderful to remember the day that I met grace. As a result of that day and this promise I know one thing. I know that I have eternity in store and I know that in the meantime I have life in Him.

 

Thank God for knowledge like that. 

No comments: