Wednesday 27 January 2021

The loins of your mind

Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; - 1 Peter 1.13

 

Gird up the loins of your mind.  What does that mean?

 

Girding up is a phrase often used in the Bible to talk about preparing for war. Originally it was a picture of a soldier wearing a tunic or a robe who would gather up the bottom of the garment and tuck it into his belt for better movement in battle.

 

We are surely in battles of our own. They may not be battles of flesh and blood, but they are battles just as real. Just like that soldier tucked up his robes, we have our own girding up to do.

 

There are two simple instructions here that we must do. We must be sober, then we must do something I need all the time. I must rest my hope on His grace.

 

When I rest on me I always fail.

 

Gird up for the fight and rest on his grace. He is leading us on to go victory.


No comments: