Saturday 9 January 2021

He will lift you up

 

Lament and mourn and weep! Let your laughter be turned to mourning and your joy to gloom. Humble yourselves in the sight of the Lord, and He will lift you up. – James 4.9-10

 

God is the God of all joy. He wants us to enjoy life lived according to His word. We can have that kind of joy when we are walking close to Him and submitting to Him.

 

But sometimes we slip up and fall. Maybe it is a stupid choice we make. When we are away from God there is no room for joy, but sorrow takes its place.

 

 

But despite that there are times when we fall. We are going to blow it and do something stupid or eve to choose to do the wrong the wrong things. When we don’t draw near to God and have defiled hands and impure hearts we cannot continue to live in joy. When we do not walk in fellowship with Him we have no call for joy or mirth. It is time for sorrow and repentance and turning back to God. As I look back to the times when I was not is fellowship with God I remember how miserable I was.

 

Shortly after I was saved I had about nine month period where I slipped back into some of my sins. I was out of fellowship with my God. I played the hypocrite by going to church, but I was miserable. I tried to cover my misery with partying and such, but in those quiet moments I was miserable.

 

That happens. But we don’t have to be beaten. We don’t have to quit. God will lift us up. When get to that kind place it is time for us to humble ourselves before the Lord and let Him pick us up and put us back on track.

No comments: