Sunday 20 September 2020

The wonderful story of Onesimus

 

I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds: Which in time past was to thee unprofitable, but now profitable to thee and to me:

Whom I have sent again: thou therefore receive him, that is, mine own bowels: Whom I would have retained with me, that in thy stead he might have ministered unto me in the bonds of the gospel: But without thy mind would I do nothing; that thy benefit should not be as it were of necessity, but willingly. For perhaps he therefore departed for a season, that thou shouldest receive him for ever; Not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved, specially to me, but how much more unto thee, both in the flesh, and in the Lord? – Philemon 1.10-16

 

This is one of the great stories of scripture. It is the story of a man named Onesimus. He was a servant in Philemon’s house. Chances are he was an indentured servant with a status not much better than a slave.

 

Philemon sent him off to spend time with and help his friend Paul. While there helping Paul he was great help. This most important thing that happened though is that Paul led Onesimus to Christ.

 

Now Onesimus was going back to Philemon. Onesimus had been so helpful that Paul would have like to have kept him there as a helper, but he did the right thing and sent him back home.

 

When Paul wrote to Philemon, he had a request. ‘Stop treating him as a servant. Release him from that obligation and treat him as your brother in Christ.’

 

The cross is the great leveller. Princes and paupers, masters and servants, high class and low, rich and poor, man and woman, English, Irish, Dutch, and Jew. All are level at the foot of the cross.

 

Philemon and Onesimus, master and servant, brothers in Christ – only Jesus could do a work like that.

No comments: