Monday 9 December 2019

Quickened

And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins; - Ephesians 2.1

I love words. I wish I has studied them more than I did. I love looking up the origins and early usage of words. I listen to podcasts about them.

Quicken is on of my favourite words that is now considered archaic. I guess it is, but I still like it. The word is a great old word that means ‘made alive’. An old word for the metal mercury was quicksilver because it looked like living silver.

Anyway, enough of that.

Quickened means ‘made alive.’ Jesus took us who were dead in our trespasses and sins and made us alive.

This quickening power of the Holy Spirit is the only thing that could give us new life. We could not stir up life in our own. Without the drawing of the Holy Spirit no dead so could receive life and would be lost in their sins. It is the quickening ray that Charles Wesley wrote about.

Made alive. Quickened. Wow! Thank you Lord.

No comments: