Thursday 19 December 2019

Ordained to good works

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. - Ephesians 2.8-10

Paul has made it abundantly clear that good works can do nothing to save us. Religion tends to teach just that – we must do something to placate God. When this was written devout Jews were still trying to keep the Law to earn their way to God. Paul spends vast amounts of time in his letters telling us that this is not true. Works can do nothing to save us.

Yet we still read Jesus words about caring for the poor and doing good an other good works. So what is the balance. We are not saved by works, but we are told to do them.

Paul makes that clear here. Were are not saved my works but it is ordained by God that we should walk in good works.

Faith and works do go hand in hand, not for salvation but as a result of salvation. Faith works and it works clearly in the lives of believers. Faith changes us and our works evidence that change.

I’ll admit it is tough thing to see and I don’t understand it all. We know we are not perfect. We know that not all Christians are doing as well as others. Some are backslidden. Even Lot was called righteous. I’ll have to leave that to God.

There is not doubt though that God has ordained that His people do good works. We all fail at times – but our goal ought to be to fulfil what we are ordained to do. I can’t answer for anyone else, but I can check my life and see if my daily works reflect the great work that God has done in me.

No comments: