Wednesday 18 December 2019

His workmanship

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. - Ephesians 2.8-10

Years ago, when master craftsmen still crafted their Waterford Crystal masterpieces down in Waterford, we were fortunate to be there on a day when they allowed us into the workshop of a master working on his masterpiece.  It was to be the epitome of everything else he has done. This is his ultimate workmanship and the piece we saw was astounding.

I can’t grasp that in the light of the passage. I can’t grasp the truth that I am Jesus’ workmanship. In me He is moulding a masterpiece. I am the work of His hands. It’s a bit of a mixed metaphor He is the Master Potter and I am the work of His hands.

I have to ask myself though – do I look like His masterpiece to the world round me. Do I reflect The Master’s master work, or do I keep His masterpiece hidden behind my own flesh? Would I rather reflect God’s work or reflect the world around me?

I have the chance to draw others to Christ by showing them what God can do with a lump of clay or a handful of heated dust.

Will I let Christ me seen in me?

No comments: