Sunday 3 November 2019

The fruit of the Spirit is...joy

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. – Galatians 5.22-25

“I’ve got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart, down in my heart, down in my heart. I’ve got the joy, joy, joy, joy down in my heart to stay.’

That’s a lovely kid’s song that we have sung with children for many years. It is a great goal, but how often does it ring true in our hearts?

We sing another song about how the joy of the Lord is our strength. It can really hard to find joy in this world. There is not a lot to be joyous about.

But this world is not the source of joy. Sure, the world can bring a measure of happiness. The world can bring laughter and mirth and fun. That deep settled joy that caries us though is a whole different matter. Happiness is contingent on circumstances. Joy is based on something much deeper. True joy is based on faith to get us through every circumstance.

Do people see the joy of the Lord in my life, or do that see a tragic ‘woe is me’ kind of faith. Only the joy of the Lord will draw them to Christ.

No comments: