Thursday 7 November 2019

The fruit of the Spirit is...goodness

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. And those who are Christ's have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. – Galatians 5.22-25

When I was in Scouts all those many years ago part of the Scout oath were the simple word ‘to do good.’ Doing good and being a ‘good person’ is something we take for granted. It is another one of those words that somehow doesn’t seem as important as some of the other things.

Am I a ‘good guy?’ Is that how people think about me? Do I go about doing good for God and for others?

Being good is something kind of intangible. Goodness, like kindness, is hard to measure. Some words the dictionary uses are ‘to be desired or approved of, pleasing and welcome…’

If I just use those words as a standard how do I do. Am I the kind of man that others approve of just because of my goodness? Am I pleasing to others and am I the kind of guy that people want to welcome into their lives.

We need never to be offensive, but good. The gospel we preach is going to offend, but we never should. We are to live such good lives that our lives never turn people of from the message we preach.

Like I said, it’s hard to define – so let’s just be good.

No comments: