Sunday 17 November 2019

God forbid that I should boast

But God forbid that I should boast save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. – Galatians 6.14

Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
Save in the death of Christ my God!
All the vain things that charm me most,
I sacrifice them to His blood.

This is a sobering thought. It takes all of us out of the picture and it makes it all about Jesus. There is nothing in our salvation that we can take credit for – nothing.

May it never be, ever, God forbid that I should boast about anything.

Why is that such a big deal. Why such strong language?

The reason is that if I boast in anything dealing with my salvation I demean the work of Christ. All I can do is to accept His pecious gift. I am saying that I shared in His work on the cross. I say that what He did was not enough.

So indeed God forbid that I boast in anything. It is enough that Jesus died.

My faith has found a resting place,
  Not in device nor creed;
I trust the Ever-living One,
  His wounds for me shall plead.
 
I need no other argument,
  I need no other plea;
It is enough that Jesus died,
    And that He died for me.

No comments: