Monday 14 October 2019

Then Christ died in vain

I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.” –   
 Galatians 2.21

Works or no works is really a big deal. Paul has spent the first two chapters in this letter by telling us that works cannot save us and works cannot keep us saved.

Why though is this so important? Why is it worth all this time and effort and ink and papyrus? Why is it such a heinous error.

Paul puts it pretty clearly. This is such a terrible error because it cheapens Jesus’ sacrifice. If we could do anything to save ourselves or to keep ourselves saved then Jesus died for nothing. His death was a waste of time. If we could save ourselves why did He die? All of the coming to earth and suffering and betrayal, but especially the brutal death on the cross was a vain action.

But we couldn’t save ourselves. We can’t keep ourselves saved because every single one of us would fall short of God’s standard of perfection. Only Jesus could be the perfect sacrifice.

May we never mock His death by thinking we could do what only He could do. He didn’t die in vain – He died to pay for our sin.

No comments: